Sunday, April 26, 2009

At Least They Won Today (10-3) To Avoid a Sweep!

Yesterday I was stoked to see the Cubbies beat the Cardinals. I picked up my Cardinal friend preacher, Gene McCoy at Rolla, and we continued on to St. Louis. The home team (that would be the bad guys) beat the Cubbies 8-2. I was super-disappointed. You have to admit class when you see it, though, and Albert Pujols just might be the best player in baseball today (sorry, Arod fans!). He manufactured the winning run on Friday, by stealing a base to get himself into scoring position, and later scoring the go ahead run on the next play.

Yesterday, he started the day needing 2 RBI to join a small crowd of ballplayers to reach 1000 before the age of 30. I was hoping he would be denied, but alas, he reached 1002 with one swing of the bat. Mike Shannon, the Cardinal radio announcer, who has a trademark home run call of "Get up! Get up, baby! Get up!" never even had a chance to form a letter "g" sound. Cubs Rule-5 draft pitcher David Patton sent Pujols a huge gift on his first pitch to him, a heater right down the middle of the plate. I have never seen a home run leave a ballpark that fast! The Cubs outfielders barely even moved a muscle. They knew that it was gone! I was there. I saw it! The crowd rose to its feet, as did I. But I was not cheering. It was painful.

I bought a Pujols Pack that had three Cubs games (April 25, May 19, and September 20). The next one is on a Tuesday night, right after school is out. I'm looking forward to seeing the Cubs beat the Cardinals there on May 19. I will have the privilege to take a Cub fan with me, Jonathan Parrot, from Prairie Grove, AR. Jonathan's mother used to teach at Ozark Christian College. Currently she is the Children's Minister at the Prairie Grove (AR) Christian Church. (Video available on MLB.com, taken from FOX Network TV feed).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You Cub fans really are the eternal optimists! When your tired of all the disappointments - come on over to the Redbird Nation. It's huge but there's still room for one more!