Tuesday, February 07, 2006

IFW

Well, it's IFW (that's International Focus Week, for those of you in Río Linda). Since I am the professor of record for the Perspectives course, we continue in the same vein all week. Our guest speaker last night in Perspectives was Phil Luckett, affiliated with Bob Sjogren's Unveiling Glory ministry. Wait, it's not about Bob, or Phil, or Kevin, or any of their other speakers, it's about God! Phil is an NFL referee, who has done some big games, and has been involved in no small amount of controversy. He spoke at Perspectives in Springfield, MO during the Super Bowl! I was impressed by that. I watched the Super Bowl, and was glad that I didn't have class that night. Well, this coming Sunday evening is the Pro Bowl from Honolulu, and our speaker from last night will be working that game. Normally I have no interest in watching a Pro Bowl, but I'll watch some it this one!

IFW kicked off today. Jon Weece, Sr. Minister of Southland Christian Church in Lexington, KY spoke in chapel. What a fine young man! Jon became the Sr. Minister there about 4 years ago, at the age of 29!!! I had him as a student in the Spring of 1995, my first year teaching at OCC. I could tell that he was going to be a good one.

Tomorrow IFW kicks off with an International Breakfast at 8:00 AM, then workshops meeting the rest of the morning. I will meet at 7:00 with my Greek class, but my other classes will not meet tomorrow. Corey Scott (son of my boss, and a member of my son's band from yesteryear, Brother John) came to play bass guitar. He is Worship Minister at Northside Christian Church in Springfield, MO. Ed Holt (formerly a co-worker in Chile) is the Sr. Minister at Northside. Corey is just a cut above most bass guitarists I know. I enjoyed listening to him play today.

I was especially moved by one of the songs sung in worship:


(Chorus)
And I am with You always
And I am with You always
For all this life and even in death
I am with you always

Go and find a world where
My name has never been said
And say it there
Let it ring like a song
Ring like a song
Go and find a world
Where My face has never been shown
And show it there
Let it shine like the sun
Shine like the sun

Go and find a world
Where My word has never been said
And say it there
Let truth fall like the rain
Fall like the rain
Go and find a world
Where My love has never been shown
And show it there
With a love that is pure
A love that is pure

I am with you always
And I am with you always
For all this life and even in death
I am with you always
Always always

Music and lyrics by Jami Smith
© 2001 Integrity's Hosanna! Music
CCLI# 3423002



Jon Weece likened the movement of God to falling rain, alluding to Elijah's prediction of torrential rain after three and a half years of drought in 1 Kings 18. As an illustration, he pulled out a rain coat and put it on. As God's people pronounce God's word to a world where it has not been said, "may truth fall like the rain." And remember:

καὶ ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ μεθ᾽ ὑμῶν εἰμι πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας ἕως τῆς συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος.

Aland, B., Aland, K., Black, M., Martini, C. M., Metzger, B. M., & Wikgren, A. (1993, c1979). The Greek New Testament (4th ed.) (Mt 28:20). Federal Republic of Germany: United Bible Societies.


Peace to all!

DGF

No comments: