Thursday, March 02, 2006

Logical Fallacies and Whiplash (in inverted order)

Whiplash. On Monday, February 28 I went to Springfield, MO to do some banking for our Southwest Missouri Perspectives class (The Christian Campus House there has bank accounts for the Perspectives classes both in Springfield and in Joplin). At approximately 1:20 PM, while stopped at a red light, I was rear-ended. I was actually ready to turn right at a yield sign, but had been stopped for 3-4 seconds, waiting for a car to pass before I completed the turn. My head was turned to the left, my attention on the white minivan that had the right of way, when BLAM!!!, i was hit. I felt the whip action on my neck. The driver that hit me accepted responsibility, and I took his information down, and continued on my way (not necessarily rejoicing). Today in Greek class, we translated a portion of Acts 8:39: "ἐπορεύετο γὰρ τὴν ὁδὸν αὐτοῦ χαίρων."
I, unlike the Ethiopian eunuch was not rejoicing: "
ἐπορευόμην τὴν ὁδόν μου μὴ χαίρων." I went to the chiropractor yesterday, had some x-rays taken. There is damage, but not as severe as it might have been. I'll go back tomorrow, and perhaps 1 or 2 times next week, and should be done.


Logical Fallacies. I found a new book yesterday. It is James Sire's (Of The Universe Next Door fame) Why Good Arguments
Often Fail: Making a More Persuasive Case for Christ. I' enjoyed reading Sire in the past, and am enjoying reading this one as well. He begins with a chapter actually written by Max Shulman. Shulman was the creator of the Dobie Gillis show. I am old enough to remember that show. People younger than I think of Bob Denver only as Gilligan, but before he was ever Gilligan, Denver played the part of Maynard G. Krebs. At any rate, pp. 21-32 if Sire's book is an excerpt titled "Love is a Fallacy", taken from the book The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, © 1951, 1979, and used by permission of the Harold Matson Co., Inc. Sire got the permission to include it in his book. I did not get permission to put it on this blog, so let me link to the text. If you would like to read Shulman's short story, you can get it here.

May the good Lord smile upon you today.

DGF

2 comments:

Stephen Lawson said...

glad to hear that there was no serious damage, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

I know what the Dobie Gillis show is! I used to watch it on TV Land when I came home from school! Glad that you weren't injured more severely.