Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tornadoes and Political Posturing

I went to preach at Rose Hill, Kansas on Sunday. I was on the road towards Rose Hill by 6 AM. Saturday had been a busy day, and I went to bed early. I hadn't really watched much news on Saturday (either earlier in the day or in the evening). Wanting to catch up on the road, I listened to the audio of some of the national news broadcasts, and was saddened to hear of the devastating tornado that destroyed Greensburg, Kansas. I had stopped in Greensburg a couple times. Greensburg had a tourist attraction--the largest hand-dug well in the world. My retired colleague, Wilbur Fields, had told me about it.

The devastation in Greensburg is terrible. The death count is up to 12 now, I believe. May God give grace to the people of Greensburg, and to their families!

I was shocked last night to hear that the Governor of Kansas, Kathleen Sebelius, has politicized this event, getting in her barb at the President. Were it not for our presence in Iraq, the Kansas National Guard units would have everything under control. Ms. Sebelius, the tragedy in your state was huge. Shame on you for using this tragedy for political posturing!

No comments: